- Name Jamie Sullivan
- Where do you live? Grand Rapids, MI
- How many children do you have? I have a son and I am pregnant with my second Ages? 17 months
- 4. How long have you lead an active lifestyle? For as long as I can remember I have been active. I grew up playing basketball, volleyball, and running track. In college I played club volleyball and also fell in love with spinning, strength training, and running for enjoyment. I have continued to be very active since college.
- Has your focus or priorities changed about exercise since having kids? Explain. Prior to having my son I could work out whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted. Looking back I’ve realized that I was actually overtraining. Since having my son, I have been forced to cut back on my training but I still make it a priority. My workouts now have to be very efficient. I am able to get in 4 hard workouts per week.
- What is your favorite type of exercise? I love to be active in a variety of ways but I would have to say strength training is my favorite.
- What have you taught your children about exercise? My son is still young but he already knows that exercise is part of our routine. Every morning that I don’t work we are at the Y at 8am. Whenever I go for a run he goes with me in the jogging stroller. It actually feels weird for me to run without pushing a stroller now 🙂 I want him to grow up knowing how important it is to exercise.
- How do you stay motivated to keep fit/active? I honestly have never had a problem with motivation. I love to be active and need to exercise to feel “normal.” I am a registered nurse so I am caring for patients all day at work then come home to care for my son. Exercise is my “me” time and my much needed stress reliever. Right now I am extra motivated to stay active so I can have a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.
- One tip or piece of advice you can offer other moms to get their kids moving? My advice would be to make it fun and start early so it becomes a habit.
Thanks Jamie!! I met Jamie years ago at the gym; she was a regular in my spin classes and then soon became certified to teach spin herself! It was fun watching her go through her pregnancy as an active mommy to be.