Mom.Wife.Fitness.LIFE- Friday Feature
- Name: Elizabeth B.
- Where do you live? Grand Rapids – AlgerHeights neighborhood
- How many children do you have? 2 Ages? 9 & 8
- How long have you lead an active lifestyle? I had a “come to Jesus” appointment with my doctor 2 years ago when my blood work showed high cholesterol. My doctor told me I could either lose a few pounds or go on a statin. Since then, I’ve lost 40 pounds, started running/exercising 4 times a week and my cholesterol is in a healthy range. I never had to take any medication. I had a pretty bad knee injury earlier this year when I was training for the Fifth Third 10K and had to take about 6 months off from running. It was a big challenge to find ways to be active without re-injuring my knee. But now I’m feeling much better and just did my first 5K since the injury. It felt great to be back out there, running a race. I’m definitely not the fastest person, but I always have fun!
- Has your focus or priorities changed about exercise since having kids? Explain. I’d say that as a mom, I try to live my whole life as an example to my kids, whether that means being active, or managing stress or being mindful of living a balanced life. I think the biggest thing is to not focus so much on “exercise” per say, but finding active things that we can do as a family.
- What is your favorite type of exercise? I really like running because as a busy mom, it burns the most calories in the least amount of time. It’s all about efficiency when your time is limited. J I also love group kickboxing.
- What have you taught your children about exercise? That it can be fun and a game. Whether it’s riding our bikes around the neighborhood, or doing a fun run, it’s all about making it fun rather than a chore.
- How do you stay motivated to keep fit/active? I set small, achievable goals for myself. I also schedule my workouts on my calendar – that way I can’t schedule something over it and I know I’ve dedicated that time to my workout.
- One tip or piece of advice you can offer other moms to get their kids moving? Limit TV/screen time. My kids only get 30 minutes a day. When that time is up, they have to find other things to do. I’m always pleasantly surprised when they decide to head outside to play and move rather than sit in front of the TV.
Alger Heghts Halloween 5k fun!
Thanks Elizabeth!! I met Elizabeth many, many years ago as her fitness instructor! We became fast friends since she staked out her front row spot for every class. 🙂 It was very inspiring to see her go through her weight loss transformation with my own eyes. She put her mind to it and worked very hard to reach her goals. I look forward to seeing her at races this year and beyond.