- Name: Jolene Cannady
- Where do you live? Burlington, North Carolina
- How many children do you have? Ages? Two wild ones. My daughter is almost 11 and my son is 5 ½.
- How long have you lead an active lifestyle? I ran before I had children, but not on a school team. More for stress relief and enjoyment. I stopped for a long while, but have been back at it now for 3 ½ years.
- Has your focus or priorities changed about exercise since having kids? Explain. Definitely. I am more focused. I want to set a strong example for my children. I want them to see how important it is to eat right and exercise, but I also want them to see how much fun it can be. I also teach them that it is not all about competition. It is about getting your body out there and moving, no matter what speed you go.
- What is your favorite type of exercise? Running and weight lifting.
- What have you taught your children about exercise? That it can be FUN!! When I run with my daughter we joke around and have fun. I teach my kids that exercising can be full of excitement. We can stop and dance, find something new while out there running, look at snails on the ground along the way, and on occasion see a deer or two. Being outside, getting fresh air, and most importantly being together. That is what exercising with the family is all about.
- How do you stay motivated to keep fit/active? I stay motivated by running for something bigger than myself. I have been a Registered Nurse for 14 years and I definitely have a nurse’s personality. I would rather be out there helping others, while also doing something good for myself. Running allows me to do just that. I am helping my own health, especially since I have chronic hypertension, but I am also helping children who have cancer. Every race I run I try to run and raise money for pediatric cancer research, mainly for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation. When I am out there running it gives me the ability to not just think about what I am doing for myself, but to see the bigger picture and see what I am doing for others. It gives my running a bigger purpose.
- One tip or piece of advice you can offer other moms to get their kids moving? The biggest piece of advice I can give is to set the example and to keep it FUN. Do not push your kids to do things, but instead make it entertaining. Instead of saying “We are going out to run”, say, “We are going on a great adventure. Our goal is to run and find as many bugs as we can along the way”. Then play some fun music, talk, and keep the atmosphere low key. Children work all day at school, it is nice for them to have some time doing something healthy while also having fun doing it.
- If you blog, please leave your link with a brief description. http://journeyofacanuckmomontherun.blogspot.com/
My blog is about running, being a mom, and living a happy/healthy lifestyle. I also talk about my struggles with depression and how I overcame them.
Thanks Jolene! I “met” Jolene in the virtual world. We were teammates on Team Tough Chik!!! I enjoy eading her blog and her posts in general. She has a very positive outlook on life and is just a cool person all around. 🙂